From:
Ryan Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:52:34 -0400
Rob- Here are a few answers I hope may be helpful

>Are cashews paleo?

Ive only heard on this list that cashews are legumes. As far as I know they arent toxic. You can find raw cashews at health stores. There is some debate around here about cashews. We mostly agree that peanuts are out, but we argue about cashews.

>Why is bacon paleo?  Eating uncooked pork can kill you; am I wrong?
>What is cured bacon and suasage non-paleo?

People are saying that the trichinosis (the stuff that makes raw pork toxic) is no longer a problem in north america. I am not going to be the first to prove that wrong- I fully cook my pork.
Uncured bacon is paleo, since it is just plain meat with a little salt. The curing process adds a bunch of non paleo crap and loads of salt. Especially beware of Sodium Nitrate. Its a nasty preservative, and is not paleo. Uncured has Very little stuff added, maybe a little salt and spice. Technically, if it isnt cured, its not bacon. Butchers call it 'pork side' you may need to ask for that at a meat market.  I eat Jimmy Dean Hot sausage, its pretty paleo, there is one non paleo ingredient, in a trace amount. MSG or something.

>I recall Ray writing that a particular squash is non-paleo.  What about
>gourds in general?

You can generally go by the raw rule on this one. Some edible raw things aren't paleo, so its tricky. I dont know how much carbohydrates are in squash, but it seems to me that the ones that more resemble a yellow curved cucumber may be ok. Ask around on this one. I dont like squash, so I dont worry about it

>If oils are out, why is olive oil allowed?  Is it because it is pressed
>form the seed of a paleo food?  I know you can't eat olive pits?

Some oils are ok, I forget which, since I use my saved bacon grease, and rarely need oil. Consult the book for the specifics.

>I rarely ever feel stuffed anymore, and I feel hungry often.  I assume
>that means my metabolism is higher.  Does this sound right?

Thats correct. Also you will be pleasantly surprised- If you have any fat to lose, You will notice it gradually going away. Dont be in a rush- Ray says it may take more than a year for some people to get to ideal weight.

Helpful eating tip- Ive found that If I eat a pound of beef for lunch, I dont have to eat anything else for the rest of the day. That may be convenient for those on a busy schedule. -(I know that sounds crazy, but I do that frequently)

a fellow Texan,
                               Ry