From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:00:21 -0400
Keith Thomas wrote:
 >Writing from outside the US, I am amazed at how heavily bacon features
 >in palaeo food over there.

I have also noticed this. As I wrote in my definition a while back,
there are now two groups following paleo. The original group that is
trying avoid the diseases of civilization, and the newer and larger
group that is doing paleo to improve athletic performance. That group
tends to not pay attention to processed meat issues. They are also
more likely to consume dairy. They are not looking to the future.
They argue that if you can consume dairy with no digestive problems
then it is okay to eat.

 > When I
 >say nitrate-/ nitrite-free, I really mean free of the chemicals - as
 >pickling with natural agents will bring in the nitrates and nitrites
 >associated with them - celery, for example.

Absolutely. But plenty of people in the US fall for the "No Nitrates
Added." People don't seem to realize that any time a food
manufacturer says none added, then it definitely has it. Otherwise
they would simply state none.

Don.