From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:19:47 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

>Todd > Nope, and for that reason you should question everything I say.
>This is just one of my...hobbies, I guess you could say.
>
>I believe Moody is a philosophy professor with a very serious interest
>in nutrition.  (We'll forgive him the philosophy as long as he promises
>that he's ignored everything since Kant).

I'm more likely to ignore everything *before* Kant!  But yes "serious
interest in nutrition" sums it up.  I'm also someone who started to have
a weight problem as a teenager.  My body type is...endomorph, I guess
you could say.  Heavy frame, short legs for my height.  I carry more
muscle than most men my age, but I also carry too much fat, unless I do
fairly drastic "dieting."  Paleo, without further restrictions, keeps my
weight at about 220-225 (I'm 6'1").  I'm 230 lbs as of this morning, and
that's down a few since undertaking this IF regime.  A few years ago, I
was getting my LBM checked regularly by immersion; last time I did this
my LBM was 183 lbs.  I imagine it's lower now, because since becoming
department chair I haven't worked out regularly--I go in fits and
starts.  That's also why I don't post as much, although I read
everything that comes through here.

> I don't really know how you
>could call it a hobby, Todd.  You are (or were) the moderator for the
>scientific version of this list -- PhDs only allowed! -- and are, to my
>mind, the most broadly read generalist out there.  I, for one, am very
>thankful for your contributions here.

That's very kind, and I appreciate it.  When I cease being department
chair (in June!!! Hooray!) I intend to catch up on my reading.  I have
it in the back of my mind to write a book about nutrition someday.  I
don't want to write a "diet book" but rather a book that critically
examines the logic of the various "schools" of nutrition, including
paleo.  Each starts out with certain assumptions and works from those.
Very often, partisans of the various schools of nutrition adduce studies
in support of their views, and studiously ignore those that fail to
confirm, or even contradict, those views.  I'd like to point all that
out.  Here's my intended title: Food Fights: Why People Can't Agree
About What the Hell They Should Eat.  I doubt that a book like that
would be publishable, but I might do it anyway.

Todd Moody