From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 10:31:14 -0500
Hi Jim;

But, at least as I understand it, is that an abnormal amount of sdLDL means
that plaque is being deposited on your arteries which leads to narrowing of
them and ultimately, blockage of the arteries.

Assuming that you (not you personally) probably do not know the
concentration of sdLDLs in your body (and the balance of HDL to them) and
you have increased total cholesterol levels along with other risk factors
(which most people share, given the typical North American diet and
lifestyle), then you are quite possibly under considerable risk. Hasn't it
been noted that cardiovascular disease is now even occurring in children?
One way of arresting CVD is by taking these drugs. However, if I were a
doctor I would only prescribe for very short term along with blood tests on
smLDLs, HDL other factors and then re-assess.

I guess though the argument here is that if you do have a good HDL ratio to
sdLDL, then you probably are not at risk for cvd. It seems sensible although
I would like to see absolute proof.

But, overall I think that there cannot be anything good about an increased
and abnormal amount of cholesterol in your blood. That's what I have
although I managed to get my HDLs up so they are within a normal ratio to
the LDL.  I find it somewhat worrisome.

Marilyn