From:
Dr Bernarr Zovluck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 19:28:21 EST
Tryphophon, is an essential amino acid & soybeans contain a
"Tryphophon
Inhibiter" that needs to be "neutralized". The only 2 ways I know of
is by
sprouting, (& the tails need to be 3.5" - 4" long), & by cooking. Over
20
yrs. ago I started making Tofu when I became a vegetarian. I was told
Tofu
was over 95% protein & easier to digest then meat. My 1st. home made
Tofu
was the 1 lb. blocks you normally see in the market. It took several
hours
so I decided I needed to do this on a larger scale. I joined a
vegetarian
community in the Blue Ridge Mts. of Penn. & started sprouting there.
Soon
it became 30+ different types of sprouts & Tofu. I made the Tofu In a
new,
large 40 gal. stainless steel steamer (impossible to burn anything
in),
40 gals. in about the same amount of time as 1 gal. I always used
fresh
organic soybeans & would curd the Tofu w/ Nigari, a natural mineral in
sea
water. The water was from the snow of the mts. A friend made a large
solid
oak press, we got a roll of 100% cotton cheese cloth & we were
humming.
This was the best Tofu, fresh out of the press, w/ as much "water"
squesed
out as possible, & WARM. The "water" became soymilk, there was no
waste.