From:
A Gryphon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 19:47:38 -0400
>we cannot afford to double or triple our existing food
>bill to eat all organic produce and only totally range fed meat.

Rachel,

I wasn't pointing any fingers at you when I wrote my post. I was just using
your comments as a springboard. A number of other members have written about
not being able to find 'clean' food in their area. A while ago, I would have
been one of them. Just thought I would point out that sometimes these things
aren't as easy to find as they should be.

To give you an idea of what I pay:

Organic vegetables and herbs, sometimes berries, right now I have enough for
myself for the week, but I have a feeling that soon, I'm going to be
supplying friends too - I pay CDN $20/week (equivalent of $US 14).

A 7 lb chicken, very meaty, is around CDN $18 (US $12.67) - even in the
supermarkets here, chicken is far more expensive than the US, though. This
is roughly the same per pound price as wings in the supermarket here.

The veal I will be getting is CDN $3.99/lb (US $2.80). This is waaaaaayyyyy
cheaper than anything above stewing beef in the supermarkets, and definitely
cheaper than any veal they sell.

This farmer also has beef available, though it has eaten grain 'at some
point in it's life.' It's now eating grass. This sells for CDN $2.99/lb (US
$2.10), which is a huge bargain.

I don't know how this compares to prices elsewhere, but for this area, they
are great.

Again, no offense intended, I was just trying to encourage other members not
to give up hope. Like I said, it was sheer luck that I found this group.
Since then, I've spoken to a number of people here who are very interested,
but had no idea such things were available here.

Irene