From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 13:10:32 -0400
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Enid Headley wrote:

> Just a quick question...I know that peanuts and cashews are supposed to be a
> no-no, but if they can be eaten raw.......what is the reasoning??  I'm not a
> fanatic about cashews...but I love peanuts!!!

The reasoning is faulty.  Peanuts and cashews are edible raw.
Some who prefer to avoid New World foods may choose to avoid
peanuts (and tomatoes, etc.) for that reason, but plenty do not
choose to avoid New World foods.  Cashews grow in pods that have
a caustic substance, but the nuts themselves are edible raw.

Todd Moody