Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 22:18:12 EST
Todd had some interesting insights when he talked about "tricking the body" in
terms of weight loss.

A popular regimen for gaining strength and muscle mass for Olympic lifters and
power lifters is called "periodization".  Here, the concept is gradual
"cycling" of volume (reps) and intensity (weight) to achieve peak levels of
fitness and strength.  Periodization recognizes that the body has the ability
to adapt to any stress.  With resistance training you want the body to respond
to the stress of exercise by building new LBM.  You want to avoid "over
stress" or overtraining where injury or catabolic activity occurs.  By cycling
high volume and intensity periods with low volume and intensity periods we
achieve our goals without letting the body adapt to the stimuli or breakdown.

I believe that the next nutrition breakthrough will be in the area of
"periodization of nutrition".  Most weight loss plateaues are probably
attributed to the body's ability to adapt.  What stimulated weight loss at
first (i.e. low carb, calorie restriction, vegetarian diet, liquid diet, etc.)
doesn't seem to accomplish the same results as time passes and the body adapts
to the new diet.  Therefore, it's necessary to "trick" the body "periodically"
in order to keep weight gain progressing.

I don't know the exact formula for this "periodization of nutrition".  It
probably will be different for every individual.  But for now, experimenting
with increased calories, different exercise regimens, etc. would be the best
place to start.

Ed Campbell, DC,CSCS