From:
Thomas Bridgeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:48:50 +0900
On Tuesday, November 9, 2004, at 12:17 AM, Jim Swayze wrote:

> Hi Mike.  Somebody correct me here if I'm wrong, but I don't believe
> that gluten -- the offending part of grain -- is the same as lectin.
> My personal experience is that beans cause gassiness, bloating, some
> joint pain but that gluten is about ten times worse.  That may just be
> a personal thing, though.

I have never noticed any effects one way or the other from legumes.
Rice, potatoes, oats, chocolate, beer, also seem fine. For me wheat and
rye are clearly bad. The others I limit, but don't avoid entirely.

By the way, vitamin pills are the worst for me. Long before I started
paleo I noticed that some vitamins made my joints ache where I have
damaged them in the past. I finally quit all supplements. I took a
survey of all my sports injuries a while back. Both knees, both ankles,
one big toe, neck, both elbows, both thumbs, both wrists, have been
hurt at one time or another. If I do things wrong they start to hurt
again. It makes for an effective early warning system that something is
not right. Vitamins are definitely bad for me. Even fish oil.

That is the biggest reason I stick to paleo. My body doesn't hurt when
I do, and it does hurt when I don't. Easy.