Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2009 16:06:22 -0700
From: "Robert Kesterson" <[log in to unmask]>

> Chocolate is an easy one -- eat it if you want it, but make sure it's
> plain, unsugared chocolate.  Unsugared chocolate is fairly bitter -- you
> probably won't want more than a couple of bites.

Here's a thought: I make a chocolate "bark" treat for Christmas every year,
put it in tins and give it to friends.  It lasts a long time.  If you
consider chocolate to be paleo, read on:

Melt 11 ounces of pure, unsugared dark chocolate in a double boiler.

While the chocolate is slowly melting in the double boiler:
Toast 1 cup of slivered almonds in the oven until lightly brown, but not
burnt.

And:
Mince (chop very finely) 3 ounces of  ginger.  I use crystallized ginger
(not fresh), which I purchas at the grocery store or the health food store.
It is a sugared ginger that can be purchased in bulk or in small glass
bottles. I put it in a small food chopper, and as the ginger is being
chopped the sugar just flies off it and separates.  Throw the sugar away and
save the minced ginger.  There may be a little sugar left on the ginger...
if so, wash or brush it off.

Add the toasted almonds and the minced ginger to the melted chocolate in the
double boiler.  Mix thoroughly.

Pour the mixture onto a large baking tray that has been lined with parchment
paper.  I buy the parchment paper in my local grocery store; before I knew
that they actually sold it I simply begged it from the bakery department.

Put the tray into the refrigerator for at least an hour until the bark
hardens then take the tray out and chip the bark into bite size pieces.

My friends often put a piece of bark into their coffee for a treat.  I do
not normally consider this recipe paleo, and only make it once a year.