From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:37:03 EDT

In a message dated 4/26/2007 8:39:09 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Anyway, what I'm looking for is further scientific evidence to counter the
rather feeble arguments that pro-raw-dairy advocates routinely make.

Why would pro-raw dairy arguments be relevant to a paleo diet?  Dairy
products are part of a neolithic diet.

There is definitely a taste benefit to raw dairy products -- at least to me,
they frankly taste better.  Also, one other BIG difference I noticed back when
I did consume dairy  (raw in the form of cheeses -- goat, sheep and some cow)
was that pasteurized dairy gives me the worst constipation, yet unpasteurized
does not create this problem.

If one is NOT eating a paleo style diet, I believe that dairy products can be
part of a healthy diet. I don't believe that paleo eating is the holy grail
in terms of diet and the only way to health.  For me, it works better than
anything else -- but I can see that there are plenty of healthy, long-lived
individuals who enjoy dairy. Some people are simply adapted to it -- I find they
tend to be the same ones who eat wheat with no weight problems.  Obviously, this
is just my personal observation -- not scientific.

Here's a link to an interesting web site by a  Dr. who graduated from MIT
before becoming a naturopathic physician -- he sites some studies for the
benefits of raw dairy and detriments of pasteurization.  I haven't looked up the
studies but it may be a starting point for further research if one is interested.
Note particularly the studies he  references in footnotes XI, XX and XXXIII.
But again, I don't see why we are discussing dairy on a paleo style eating
list.

_Dr. Ron's Ultra-Pure and Alternative Medicine Center of Connecticut_
(http://www.drrons.com/raw-milk-veritas.htm)