From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:56:15 -0600
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:34:51 -0600, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Right.  High intensity exercise performed infrequently.  I don't like
> the statement "don't exhaust the body, just the specific muscle."
> Technically, it's correct, but most would read it to mean that you need
> to back off the intensity.  You need a full body workout (not split
> between upper and lower) with each single set to exhaustion.  Start
> with the largest muscle groups down to the smallest.  No more than 12
> exercises per workout.

I think that is going to vary depending on the individual.

I've been doing a split routine for months, and it's working very well with the paleo diet.  I've gotten stronger across the board the whole time I've been dieting, despite losing bodyfat.  And I am not new to exercise, either (I've been weight training for almost 5 years now, and tried lots of protocols and diets in that time).  My split is chest and biceps on Monday, back and triceps on Tuesday, then legs, abs, and shoulders on Friday.  I do some kind of conditioning (aerobics or whatever) on Tuesday and Thursday, then no formal exercise on the weekend.  I do multiple sets of one or two exercises per bodypart.  Some sets have 10 or 12 reps, but 5 is typical, and some sets I only do one rep with a very heavy weight.  Workouts usually last 30 or 40 minutes.  This arrangement is working great for me.  Full body workouts and/or single set routines -- *for me* -- aren't as effective.  YMMV.

--
   Robert Kesterson