From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:24:11 -0500
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Alison Ashwell wrote:

> Todd Moody wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone confirm that they are edible raw?  The reason why I
> > think so is that I used to know someone who made his own "trail
> > mix" consisting of (I think) raw oats, hazel nuts, and raisins.
>
> I used to eat them raw by the handful straight from the packet. However,
> i now know that I'm sensitive to grains and this was like an addiction.

An interesting thing is that oats are one of the few dietary
sources of GLA (gamma linoleic acid), although in tiny amounts.
There appears to be some dispute as to whether they contain
gluten.  They are a hardy plant, found in many places.  It makes
sense that they would have been gathered when available.

I imagine they are quite chewy when raw, and difficult to overeat
in that form.  True?

> I am Scottish but never liked porridge. <G>

One of the isolated Scottish populations studied by Weston Price
ate mainly seafood and oats, as I recall.

Todd Moody