From:
Paleogal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:36:51 -0500
June 15, 2004
NUTRITION NEWS FOCUS
"Nutrition news is important.  We help you understand it!"

Today's Topic: Low-Carb for a Full Year

Yesterday we highlighted a study that showed that subjects on a
low-carb diet lost more weight than controls on a low-fat diet after
six months.  One year ago, we told you about a study published in the
New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) that showed six months of a
low-carb diet provided significantly better weight loss than a regular
diet.  < http://www.nutritionnewsfocus.com/archive/a5/062303.html >  A
new publication provides one-year followup of the participants.

People on the low-carb diet maintained the weight they achieved at six
months, but those on the conventional diet continued to lose weight so
there was no longer a significant difference in weight loss at
12 months.  But triglycerides and HDL-cholesterol were still
significantly better in those following the low-carb plan.  The study
was published in the May 18, 2004 edition of the Annals of Internal
Medicine.
< http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/abstract/140/10/778 >

HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: Again, one year ago another
article published in NEJM at the same time as the first part of this
study reported no difference at 12 months.  There is no doubt both
diets work for a period of time.  The only one that really works is
the diet you stick with.