Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 10:09:53 -0500
This is very interesting.  I compared raw vs cooked beef side by side (raw
beef table in separate email). Raw beef shows higher values in water
(naturally), thiamine, B6 and B12 only.  Take a look at the differences in
the fatty acids structure. Raw beef is lower in amino acids than cooked beef
and neither contain any amino acids that the other doesn't.

I only had a few minutes to look at this.  My hypothesis thus far (based
upon my knowledge of nutritional supplementing):

The ratio of the nutrients to each other is what counts here.

The questions that arise in my mind (not new questions for this group at
all):

My foundational belief is that what nature provided for us is what is most
compatible with our bodies.

Is beef, free range/organic or not, raw or cooked  ideal for our bodies (I
don't think so)?

Does the ideal still exist (probably not)?

With biochemical individuality, is it possible to really do anything more
than state some overall truths about nutrition?   Breaking it down further
brings it into the realm of personal experience.  Many of the problems some
of us have had stem from believing that someone else's nutritional
experience is transferable to us.  The native intelligence of intuition has
been largely pushed aside in deference to science and others who speak with
authority.  I see more people here who have reclaimed their intuition than I
see almost anywhere.

Anyway, take a look below and also at the other email I sent.

Siobhan

Beef, composite of trimmed retail cuts, separable lean and fat, trimmed to
1/4" fat, all grades, cooked
NDB No:   13004  Nutrient  Units  Value per 100 grams of edible portion
 Sample Count Std. Proximates

Water  g 51.430 0
Energy  kcal 305.000 0
Energy  kj 1276.000 0
Protein  g 25.940 0
Total lipid (fat)  g 21.540 0
Carbohydrate, by difference  g 0.000 0
Fiber, total dietary  g 0.000 0
Ash  g 1.060 0
Minerals
Calcium, Ca  mg 10.000 0
Iron, Fe  mg 2.620 0
Magnesium, Mg  mg 22.000 0
Phosphorus, P  mg 203.000 0
Potassium, K  mg 313.000 0
Sodium, Na  mg 62.000 0
Zinc, Zn  mg 5.850 0
Copper, Cu  mg 0.110 0
Manganese, Mn  mg 0.015 0
Selenium, Se  mcg 18.700 0
Vitamins
Vitamin C, ascorbic acid  mg 0.000 0
Thiamin  mg 0.080 0
Riboflavin  mg 0.210 0
Niacin  mg 3.640 0
Pantothenic acid  mg 0.350 0
Vitamin B-6  mg 0.330 0
Folate  mcg 7.000 0
Vitamin B-12  mcg 2.440 0
Vitamin A, IU  IU 0.000 0
Vitamin A, RE  mcg_RE 0.000 0
Vitamin E  mg_ATE 0.200 0
Lipids
Fatty acids, saturated  g 8.540 0
4:0  g 0.000 0
6:0  g 0.000 0
8:0  g 0.000 0
10:0  g 0.060 0
12:0  g 0.050 0
14:0  g 0.680 0
16:0  g 5.240 0
18:0  g 2.500 0
Fatty acids, monounsaturated  g 9.220 0
16:1  g 0.890 0
18:1  g 8.290 0
20:1  g 0.040 0
22:1  g 0.000 0
Fatty acids, polyunsaturated  g 0.780 0
18:2  g 0.530 0
18:3  g 0.220 0
18:4  g 0.000 0
20:4  g 0.030 0
20:5  g 0.000 0
22:5  g 0.000 0
22:6  g 0.000 0
Cholesterol  mg 88.000 0
Amino acids
Tryptophan  g 0.290 0
Threonine  g 1.133 0
Isoleucine  g 1.166 0
Leucine  g 2.050 0
Lysine  g 2.158 0
Methionine  g 0.664 0
Cystine  g 0.290 0
Phenylalanine  g 1.013 0
Tyrosine  g 0.871 0
Valine  g 1.262 0
Arginine  g 1.639 0
Histidine  g 0.888 0
Alanine  g 1.564 0
Aspartic acid  g 2.370 0
Glutamic acid  g 3.897 0
Glycine  g 1.415 0
Proline  g 1.145 0
Serine  g 0.992 0

USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference