Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 10:31:22 -0400
Theola posted this:
>>According to PP, I need to consume about 71 gms per day....I don't like
>>counting protein, carbs, or fat and found this aspect of both PP (and Atkins)
tedious and time-consuming.... I discovered that 71 gms is a L-O-T of meat,
and there were quite a few days I had a lot of trouble eating that amount
and having any room left in the tum for veggies too.

My reply:
One egg or one ounce of meat, dark meat poultry, or cooked fish contains
about 7 grams of protein; one ounce of turkey breast contains 9 grams of
protein.  Eating 70 grams of (animal) protein per day would mean that you
eat approximately 3 to 3 1/2 ounces of fish, fowl, or meat per meal.  Or, 2
eggs and a couple of ounces of meat and breakfast and 3 ounces of
fish/fowl/or meat at both lunch and dinner. Perhaps you need to be more
active so that your appetite improves.

Theola wrote:
>>I can't imagine how hard it would be to take in 125 gms of protein and eat a
single bite of anything else.  I'm concerned about possible gluconeogenesis
and fat weight gain.

My reply:
It is not essential that all of your protein come from meats.  Vegetables
also provide some protein in the diet.  It is unlikely that you would gain
fat if you stay within your body's daily energy requirements.  If you add
generous amounts of fibrous, non starchy vegetables (especially green salads
with other colorfulveggies and cooked leafy green or mixed vegetables) to
your meals that could help you reach your fat loss goals and improve your
overall health. Low glycemic fruits--apples, berries, stone fruits, these
would also be healthy additions to meals.

A few ounces of fish/fowl/or meat at each meal, does not amount to a huge
amount of calories, unless you are choosing the fattiest cuts or eating only
sausage.

Rachel Albert-Matesz,
co-author of the Practically Primitive Diet & Cookbook (due out in 2003)