From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:37:30 -0800
> >that is *is* detectable, and that people who do not
> >have the flaw do not get the disease.
>
> It doen't mean that people who have the genetic flaw
> ( or asset ) will
> necessarelly manifest the disease.

True. They may die before the disease is manifested,
or they may eat such a low level of iron that it
doesn't affect them. However, my point is that the
disease will only show up in those who have the
genetics for it.

> May be , for the genetic trait to be activated , the
> environment change must
> be also experienced. Following the proposition of an
> adjustement to the bean
> , may be if the person who inherited  the gene  are
> never exposed to beans
> the trait will not be activated

It's a possibility. Or perhaps increasing phytates (or
some other dietary factor) might neutralize the
disease to some extent.