From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Aug 2005 23:25:08 +0100
On Aug 25, 2005, at 12:07 pm, Jim Swayze wrote:

> Agreed.  I made a comment a while back about theory obscuring
> reality, that
> sometimes we get so into theorizing that we forget to carry the two
> and now
> the sun doesn't exist.
>
> The version of paleo that works for me is one where I eliminate all
> grains
> and dairy, legumes, frankenfats, chocolate, coffee.  The results
> have been
> miraculous -- and to greater or lesser degrees, the reintroductions
> of these
> items have been disastrous.
>
> Having said that, I greatly enjoy the theorizing.  I sometimes fear
> though
> that it may turn off the casual reader of this list who's expecting
> a little
> more firm ground upon which to stand.

I agree entirely Jim-

The thing that attracted me most to paleo was the *lack* of
scientific jargon behind it.  Whereas fad diets (eg low-fat, GI) and
modernised low-carb (eg Atkins) support their arguments with a
scientific house of cards, paleo is based on such a simple premise
(that we thrive on the diet we are adapted to eat) that to challenge
it is almost to challenge the basis of biology.

My boss (much to my surprise!) has recently given the paleo diet a
trial run after talking to me about it at work.  Another worker at my
office suggested that he buy some keto-strips but he said that whole
aspect of the diet didn't interest him.  He made the point himself
that the reason he is avoiding potatoes is not because they are high-
carb, but because humans aren't adapted to eating them.

The problem, as I see it, is that people have been conditioned to
expect a scientific explanation for everything.  When my boss said
he's lost weight, another sceptic (and GI dieter) said it was
"witchcraft".  Which leaves you with nothing to do except explain the
insulin theory.  Explaining it in terms of a natural diet restoring
the body to its natural (optimal) state is just too woolly for modern
ears.

I imagine we are all guilty of theorising to some extent.  I like
reading medical or scientific articles that back up the basic paleo
principles- mainly because it's ammunition against the critics.  But
I find more and more I don't care, I just get on with eating, and let
the results speak for themselves.

Ashley

PS it was a LONG time about that you commented about making the sun
disappear but I remember the original argument now... scary how long
I've been on this list!