From:
Craig Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:20:03 -0500
You wrote:

 >> Paleo people started to eat grains and now the whole world does it. If
 >> their instinct failed them why are we trusting them? Maybe there was
 >> nothing wrong with their instinct and grains aren't bad to most of the
 >> mankind?
 >
 >Paleo people had a hard choice to make, and made the best one they
 >could find. They had killed off and eaten most of their prefered food,
 >the big fatty animals, and were facing starvation. This process was
 >occurring all over the world at about the same time, as a result of the
 >gradual slow increase in human population. So we see that at almost the
 >same time in many places agriculture began. This was not instinct, it
 >was desperation, as can be seen in the sharp fall in health since the
 >agricultural revolution.

Interesting, but I had always heard that it was the desire to
stay rooted in one location in the face of their burgeoning
population, the desire for land and expansion, that necessitated
the shift to agriculture.

I wonder---is there any hard evidence either way on the "whys" of
the agricultural revolution?

.:. Craig