From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:26:59 EDT
I agree with the docs -- fiberous foods including vegetables and fruits
will only make her feel worse and further inflame her already inflamed bowels.
 I would think a meat/fish/foul and fat diet best - low carb would be more
important than forcing down veggies or fruits or nuts whose fibers would
only serve to irritate the already irritated colon. Why can't she have eggs in
the morning and meat/fish/foul at lunch and dinner?? Soothing homemade bonte
broths would get her additional nutrients.  Meat and fat is paleo.

 Here is a chapter from Wolfgang Lutz's book (he is an Austrian
gastroeneterologist who has used low carbohydrated diets for all manner of bowel/gut
disorders).  Scroll down to the colitis section.  He also wrote "Life Without
Bread" -- a general low-carb book.   _Dr. med. Wolfgang Lutz: Dismantling a
Myth: Chapter VII_ (http://www.scdiet.org/7archives/lutz/lutz7.html)   Life
Without Bread is available in the US.  He's in his 90s now.

I think that in your family member's case -- maintaing a low carb (low
fiber, no grain (especially no wheat) or legumes ) diet would provide relief.
Lutz low carb diet is not paleo in the sense he allows dairy but it's the
vegetation and fruit fibers that make colitis flairs worse.  My brother had
it and ended up having surgery because he wouldn't change his truly
horrendous junk food diet.  An old boyfriend of mine  had a more severe form of
ulcerative colitis than my brother and he became nearly skeletal because
virtually everything he ate other than protein and fat gave him the bloody diarrhea
and pain etc.  Seriously -- he was running to the bathroom several times an
hour.   If your family friend's case is severe, she will need supplements to
gain the nutrients she's missing while her colitis is flairing.  Try to
find a nutritionally oriented physician with experience in this area  to help
guide her.