From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 05:00:30 +0100
>I'm wondering if I can get enough "fuel" from the paleo diet to continue
>my current (moderate) physical activity level if I have to give up all the
>rice I eat?  Also, doesn't meat and nuts have a lot of fat?  Wouldn't I
>have to increase my exercise level from the moderate to the extreme level
>in order to burn off all the fat from the  meat and nuts--otherwise
>wouldn't I gain weight?

>Jennifer

Well, here's my non-scientific understanding of it: You cannot make
fat out
of protein and fat without having ingested carbohydrates to provoke
the
insulin response, so you don't necessarily easily store fat. You will,
however, burn it for fuel, and will feel well-fueled indeed, with a
different sort of satiation from your meals: no bloat and an abundance
of
long-lasting energy. We are meant to burn meat and fat; carbs and the
accompanying insulin response were meant to help us store fat in the
late
summer season for the coming winter of short days and scarce food.
Your
exercise level will not need to increase; in fact, it may be able to
decrease. There's really no need to exercise aerobically on a regular
basis; it's largely a myth perpetuated by the low-fat,
cholesterol-will-kill-you crowd. But you may wish to do weightlifting
or
other load-bearing activities, both for fun and to build strength.
Paleo
will build lean mass even without training, and getting off the carbs
will
release a lot of extra water in your tissues, so you'll look leaner
anyway.

ginny and Tomo

All stunts performed without a net!