From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:12:56 -0500
On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:10:13 +0900, Tom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>A student of mine told me today that she had been diagnosed
>with diabetes. I asked her what diet the doctor recomended.
>She said LOTS of rice, vegetables, and to cut back sweets
>and oil.
>
>So thats the state of the art in Japan. Hmm.

I think the advice is not so bad.
The real problem is to cut back on sugar and white (protein-less) flour.
Rice isn't particularly high in protein, but even white rice has
77% of RDA protein (with 2400 kcal).
BTW as I just saw, also 200%iron and 130%B6.

But why cut back on oil, oil is not insulinogenic, is it?
It may be deciding which type of oil. I don't know what's common in Japan
but I suppose that you find a lot of zero-taste-w-6-oil in Japans
supermarkets.

So the given advice could work in cutting back the omega-6 overload.
Also not bad.
And cutting back on oils increases the protein eaten
(therefore cutting back on insulin, raising glucagon)..

Does anybody of you know of someone who developed diabetes while eating
a whole grain (or even rice) diet?
I mean without plenty sugarous items, which I see as the culprit?

Cheers

Amadeus