From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 08:08:12 +1000
There's not a lot of research on diet and fertility Mike, and I've
never
really looked into it. If you want to search Medline (Pubmed)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi, look for Anne Clark-
she's
had some promising results with exercise, diet and weight  loss
http://www.fertilityfirst.com.au  . Also, they say boxer shorts
increase the
sperm count (but some conflicting studies)(but it's a harmless thing).

Testes and ovaries are very high in omega 3 and an Omega diet should
be
helpful (no formal research yet)- it certainly helps brain function
(brain,
adrenal, testis, ovary and marrow are the big omega 3 containing
tissues I
believe).

For PCOS sufferers, paleo and omega diets hold good promise as many
fatty
acids are inhibitors of 5 alpha reductase (the enzyme that boosts the
potency of testosterone. GLA (20:3n6) seems to be the most potent
inhibitor
followed by
22:6n3, followed by 18:3n3.  The western diet is quite low in all
three of
these fatty acids and is overburdened by a high n6/n3 ratio. Search
for Prof
Liao for info on this.

If I wanted to improve fertility, then an Omega Diet
www.teleport.com/~jor
is the place to start- paleo diets include m,ost of this, but if
you're like
me your paleo diet will benefit a lot from what the omage Diet ahs to
say .
Now I'm on a Paleomega diet!

Haven't seen anything that would connect lectins to fertility- except
that
they can mimic insulin's effects and this would be bad for PCOS
sufferers.

Ben Balzer