From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2008 05:15:27 -0400
I don't believe there is any real evidence for eating tubers in the middle and
late Palaeolithic - for example, recent isotope-testing of bones has revealed
that the Neanderthals ate a diet consisting almost entirely of meat.(though,
perhaps Palaeo humans were resorted to in small amounts in times of extreme
famine). Here's one of many links re the carnivorous habits of the
Neanderthals:-

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/06/000613071408.htm

However,it's possible, I suppose, that some tubers were consumed raw before
our apemen ancestors switched over to meat-diets.

Part of the trouble with above claims re tubers is that they are mostly based
on the rather unlikely "Scavenger-Theory" which, in turn, is primarily based on
the prejudice that apemen like the Neanderthals and Homo Erectus were
merely stupid brutes incapable of working out the kind of complicated hunting
strategies that modern humans can. Yet, further studies have shown that the
Neanderthals, for example, had complex religious and cultural rituals.

Geoff

http://rawpaleoforum.com/index.php

http://www.rawpaleo.com/