From:
Paul Getty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:07:54 -0500
I raise animals............chickens and sheep.  I feel they have great lives
and it is important to me that they do.  Eating them only means that for an
instant they suffer the consequences of dying, far less time than most
humans suffer as they near death.

I agree that meat production, the way it is done by big agroindustry, is
horrible and immoral.  To have an animal born, only to live locked in boxes
by themselves, or jammed in with too many other animals, surrounded by their
unavoidable feces and urine and stench only to be finally slaughtered, is
detestable.  But us consumers should care about all that and search out
sources of meat that treat the animals in a compassionate way.  It is more
inconvenient and expensive, and I don't generally buy that way, but I
should.

Still, it is unavoidable to come to the conclusion that our species evolved
as meat eaters, at least in part.  Seems vegetarians go around and around
looking for a theory that shows we don't have that past.  I haven't seen
anything that convinces me.

Paul