From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:41:15 -0500
Todd > So you think paleolithic people had a rule about legumes?

I don't think they had any rules other than taste, availability, energy
content, and -- most importantly -- whether consumption of a particular
foodstuff made them sick.  But I'm no expert, Todd.  All I have to go by
are 1) recommendations by those who are (Ray Audette's a good one); and 2)
how a particular food makes me feel when I consume it.  And what little
wisdom I have is telling me to move away from number 2 because bad things
happen to me physically when I experiment, as my most recent month-long
bout with thrush showed me.

Wine and peanuts are very good examples of experiments gone bad as eating
either has elicited undesirable responses from my body.  I don't need to
quote statistics on alcoholism.  But do you realize that 2% of the
population can die from eating peanuts?  To me, that further supports
Ray's general principle that legumes aren't part of our original diet.

Let's put the question back on you, Socrates.  What makes you think
peanuts ARE paleo?