From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 19:49:06 +0100
As requestedby one, here are some notes and experiences from my
paleooriented vegetarian way.
As i know, many here are former veggies, and interested
veggie lurkers may be here too, so this may be of some interest.

Just a short compilation.
Paleolithic nutrition is (IMO) essentially the attempt to orient
our nutrition in a way, as our genetic adaption from previous millions
of years demands, by examples promises as especially healthful.

It includes the following major benefits:
1.it's anti allergenic and/or less toxin containing
2.it should provide more micronutriens, fiber and a better macronutrient
mix
3.it implies a better way to deal with food energy (sugars/carbohydrates)

Now implications for vegetarians who which to befenit from this.
1.food toxins/allergens
Common western nutrition has some proteins in it, to which a big
percentage of persons show allergenic reactions: milk and wheat protein.
Therefore, to exclude them may alone be an explanation for a health
success.

I personally regard the "alien protein" explanation as faulty.
To each *individuum* proteins even from the same species are considered as
alien and attacked by the imune system, as transplantations show.
But new classes of food toxins (antinutrients), to which our bodies are
untrained or which are overdosed, seem probable to me.
I think much damage is also done by mixing a big variety of plants
in a meal or day, so that toxins can attack in combination.
Therefore i cut down the number of ingredients in my meals, true paleo
IMO.

As veggies rely on plants, this topic is important for us because
most food toxins are found in plants- they try to defend from beeing
eaten.
Undoubtable humans and primates *are* plant eaters since ever, and
therefore
able to cope with this.
But new foods, the mixing and the way of processing may reduce this
ability.
Many foods became available to humans only after reducing toxins through
processing techniques, especially cooking.

Seeds are important for me, because of their huge vitamin and protein
content.
I personally am not allergic to wheat or other cereal proteins.
But I avoid wheat products, and reduce other cereals. From the rest of
all plant seeds (a little cereals and many other) i take attention to eat
only properly (this is usually traditional) processed ones.
Normally this are sprouted, soaked or germinated seeds.
I include also properly soaked pulses, especially chickpeas an lentils.
Other fine seeds i eat and like are buckwheat (cooked or soaked)
quinoa (cooked), and millet (a cereal, cooked and soaked).

In addition there are many raw edible seeds. Various Nuts and Almonds -
Sunflower - Pumpkin Seed, Buckwheat and so on play an important role to
me..

To milk: i dislike milk and milk fat, but i do eat white cheese (milk
protein)
in small amounts most time of the year. Are we adapted to it?
Hunters do eat suchalike cheese from stomaches of killed young animals,
but thats not my point. We are mammals. Desinged to live from milk for
years.
So i reduce it because i dislike the way of its production (food and
cows).
Not the animal protein. I wouldn't expect any milk to contain natural
toxins.
However, now many *are* allergic to milk, some may be to white cheese too.
It would be easy to live without.

2.micronutrients and fiber
Here, vegetarians have a little advantage.
If attempting to eat as 1mio years back, then things will have been very
fresh and unprocessed. In this way the plants will be very rich in
micronutrients and fiber automatically. I pay much attention to this.
Keys are fruit (better not so sweet), and *much* vegetables.
In big portions like 3-500g spinach or broccoli, carrots, sweet ptatoes
I do eat potatoes in conciousness of their toxin content, solanin.
Its a tuber, edible in smaller amounts. Avoiding injured and green ones,
peeling and cooking in water will reduce most of the solanin.
And they so good tasting sources of vitamin C , protein and proper carbos.

3.Proper dealing with food energy
I enjoy to derive much (most) of my foods energy from fats.
I have the fantastic fredom to choose amoung the best oils and plant fats.
Olive, flax, hemp are my favourite. Avocados and sunflowers contribute.
This helps cutting down the enormous carbo consume commonly found.
I've my own theory, why certain processed carbos are *unusable* for the
body as a fuel resource and *required* to end as body fats
(not really a theory, more a observation of known facts).
Everything with less than 3mg thiamin per kg carbohydrate will do so.

4.macronutrient mix
Getting much of ones energy from fat has macronutrient implications.
Most plants have more than adequate protein, if so much is eaten
as necessary to satisfy the hunger after energy (calories).
E.g. 2400 kcal wheat have 150% RDA protein. Evens vegetables are similar.
Since fats are *only* energy, then if their percentage increases,
protein will decrease.
Therefore i use protein-denser things like sunflower (more protein than
meat)
nuts and seeds (also cheese is this category).

I have to close this time, I hope note to have bothered too much with
my long post, and that at least one person will find some valuable
information.

regards
Amadeus S.