From:
Fredrik Murman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 14:37:07 -0500
Mermaid Rose <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We are being gifted some deer next monday and i would love to know what to
>do about those bones.  How do you get to the marrow and what do you do
>with it?

There are two types of marrow, called red and yellow. It's the yellow
marrow that's fat and that I eat. The yellow marrow can contain more or
less redness. These are red blood cells I assume. If you get whole bones,
then to get to the yellow marrow you can do as Jean-Claude suggested or use
a saw to cut the bones into segments. Here's what I do next:

1. Eat the marrow raw, or
2. Boil the segmented thinner marrow bones for 13 minutes (a hunter once
told me this time is traditional), blow out the marrow and eat it, or
3. Cook the piece or pieces of marrow bones until I get a thick broth.
Drink the broth or use it as a basis for soup, or
4. Render the marrow i.e. take it out of the bones and boil it down

Actions 1 and 2 above are what I like best.

Hope that helps,
Fredrik