From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:41:13 -0800
On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:15:10 -0400, matesz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Not too long ago, a list member asked why primitive non-agricultural peoples
>adopt a modern diet (if their won diet and lifestyle is working for them).
>It is not by choice. The biggest reason is pressures or coercison  by "white
>man," including conversion to Christianity, removal and disconnection from
>their land, and encroachment of civilization.

Although this certainly happens, there are other factors.

Your portrayal assumes that "primitive" peoples are fundamentally different from
"civilized" people.

In reality, they have the same sets of desires, aspirations, fears and
fascinations.

In India, I saw people living in villages in pretty much the same way they have
done for thousands of years.   They were well-fed, well-clothed and seemed quite
happy.

In the big cities, I saw people living in cardboard boxes and wearing rags.

Where did those poor people in the cities come from?   The villages (this is
known from surveys).   So, why would they leave the villages?   Fascination with
the novelty of modern life, and boredom - amongst the 18 year olds - with the
sameness of village life.

I grew up in the inner city, and as a result, was always fascinated with nature
and the wilderness.   About 10 years ago, I moved to a small town in a beautiful
wilderness area.

My son was born here, and has been surrounded by natural beauty all his (short)
life.   So, when we go on car trips, he totally ignores all the beautiful
natural areas we go through, and is fascinated by the crowded concrete cities we
were eager to leave!   Novelty is a big draw.

So, while I am sure that incidents such as you describe certainly occurred,
nevertheless there are many h-g tribe members who were not coerced, but were
fascinated by the novelty of western agricultural civilization.

PS   Remember that ALL the distant ancestors of the people in agricultural
civilizations were hunter-gatherers who gave that up to do agriculture....

--
Cheers,

Ken