From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:12:18 EDT

In a message dated 4/2/2007 11:56:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Is this the book you are referring to?
http://www.amazon.com/Body-Sculpting-Bodyweight-Exercises-Women/dp/B000FGJO5
G/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-5439291-3403210?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175532718&sr=1-3

BTW, my upper body looks like that of the girl on the front, and my lower
body is far from it. :)

Hi Kristina,

That's the book.  The gal on the cover looks pretty young -- chock full of
hormones that give the skin firmness. She also appears to be very well
proportioned.  Example 1: Someone with a short waist/torso in proportion to the rest of
their body will never have a tiny waist the way a person with a longer torso
that tapers in would.  Their frames are different and the excess bodyfat
merely exaggerates the difference.    Example #2:  Women whose knees are
significantly lower than mid-point, measuring from hip-bone -- will NEVER have the slim
calves and delicate ankles of women with better proportioned legs.  If the
distance from the calf to the ankle is significantly shorter than distance from
knee to hipbone -- the calf will and ankle will tend to look "thick" or "bulky"
compared to a longer calf of a woman with identical bodyfat percentages.
Hope this isn't too confusing - and I'm not slamming those with less than ideal
proportions -- but proportions cannot be changed through diet and exercise.  My
hubby has a very long torso in relation to his size -- hence, short legs.
His legs are densely muscled with minimal effort. His knee is perfectly placed
so he can perfom hundreds of hindu squats with no pain, plus enjoys all sports
that are traditionally hard on the knees -- sking, skating, jumping and has
suffered zero knee problems. Downside is that he has trouble buying trousers -
his waist is slim but his legs are bulky/muscular.  Anyway, please don't
compare yourself with anyone else...but if you must, please realize that the
majority of women would kill for your bodyfat statistics.  You are certainly in a
healthy body fat range -- maybe not your personal  ideal percentages yet -- but
way better than average.   I like Baran's book but Tamir Katz's updated book
(TBK Fitness) may be better in terms of many more exercises for various levels.
If diet and exercise tweaking doesn't get you to your goals -- I would simply
focus on practicing self-acceptance. It is a useless exercise comparing
yourself with anyone else -- just try to be as healthy as possible so that you feel
great and minimize the risk of preventable problems during old age. Sounds to
me that your body may simply preferentially store body fat in your lower half
- that is largely genetic.  Such fat will be first gained and last lost.  Has
your body ever looked like what your current goal would be?  If so, then it's
probably a realistic goal -- but there is still the aging/hormonal issue.
Reading over your postings, you seem to be very motivated and I have no doubt
that you will follow whatever plans you choose to the letter, but if that
doesn't work, then your only recourse would be to consult with a plastic surgeon
It's definitely not a paleo solution and may in fact not be appropriate for
whatever your perceived problem is,  but I've known many women (and a few men!)
who have had various plastic surgery procedures done and were extremely happy
with results -- life changing in the most positive of ways in some respects.
Even tall, willowy Nicole Kidman had lipo around her knees...But there are always
risks.  I would first try focusing on self acceptance and being grateful that
you're healthy, strong and if a famine comes -- any extra flab on the thighs
will enable you to survive longer without food.  Kidding...sort of.  Seriously
though, persistence generally wins the day but what's the point if the day is
ruined by needless obsessing.  That is the only reason I suggested last
resort consult with a plastic surgeon.  Sorry if I'm drifting into definitely
non-paleo realm -- can't imagine paleos