From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 17:02:46 GMT
On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 00:17:30 -0400, Aaron Wieland <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Chronic health problems begin with the intestine.

This is one of those food-fadist myths that has no substantiation.

>Its lining needs to be continually regenerated.

According to Dr. Weil (who is otherwise sympathetic to alternative nostrums):

" The colon sheds its entire lining and regenerates it every day, so it's
impossible for anything to build up on its walls. "

The whole article can be found at:

http://cgi.pathfinder.com/drweil/archiveqa/1,2283,59,00.html

>  If this regeneration is impaired by
>decreased blood flow due to stress, or by some other metabolic
>imbalance, increased intestinal permeability results.  This
>vulnerability paves the way for allergies, candidiasis, etc.  There's
>some information about leaky gut syndrome (LGS) at
>http://bcn.net/~stoll/lgs.html (don't be deterred by the advertisment at
>the bottom of page; Dr. Stoll actually loses money from selling his
>books -- he's just trying to spread information as effectively as
>possible).

I've read extensively on Stoll's site, and all his evidence is anecdotal - a lot
of it is based solely on his own personal experience - much of which I found I
could interpret quite differently than he did.   One example of his odd thinking
is that whole food is better because "the world naturally provides food for us"
but he never responded to my question of whether poisonous mushrooms are
therefore a "whole food". :-)

So many food theories are simply based on things that "sound good" - eg food
combining, acid/alkaline, raw food, veganism, etc.

In reality, the only food theories that make sense are those that start with
"how do we breathe, what is required for breathing to occur, how do we move,
what is required for movement to occur", ie physiology.

While paleo at first looks like a food fad, in actuality, it correlates quite
well with what is known about physiology.

--
Cheers,

Ken                         <*>