Date:
Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:40:32 -0400
With all this talk of the medicalization of normal life processes--such as
menopause--I thought it would be appropriate to refer you to an article by
Dr. Joseph M. Mercola, DO, which appeared in his regular column in the
TOWNSEND LETTER FOR DOCTORS & PATIENTS, OCTOBER 2000.  Although medical
doctors can do wonders in emergency situations, most people do not realize
how many problems are caused by standar medical intervention.

"Doctors Are The Third Leading cause of Death in the US, Killing 250,000
people every year."  Mercola sites an article on deaths from iatrogenic
causes (that means' induced by a physician's activity, manner, or therapy)
that appeared in JAMA, one of the largest, most respected medical journals
in the world."

Dr. Mercola says, "This is the best article I have ever seen written in the
published literature documenting the tragedy of the standard medical
paradigm.  This article is a keeper as you can use the statistics to counter
the arguments of your friends and relatives who are so enthralled with the
conventional medical paradigm.  These statistics prove very clearly that the
sytem is just not working.  it is broken and is in despertate need of
repair.  I was previously fond of saying that drugs are the third leading
cause of death in this country.  However, this articles makes it clear that
doctors are the third leading cause of death in this country, killing nearly
a quater million people a year. ... This statistic is likely to be seriously
underestimated as much of the coding only describes the cause of organ
failutre and does not address iatrogenic causes at all."

Mercola adds, "Drugs, surgery, and hospitals are rarely the answer to
chronic health problems.  Facilitating the God-given healing capacity that
all of us have is the key.  Improving diet, exericse, and lifestyle are
basic. .."  Mercola is fond of the paleo diet and advocates this general
approach in his practice and on his site.

For the full article, you can go to one of the following sites:

http://www.google.com/custom?q=doctors+cause+deaths&cof=AH:center;AWFID:5cdb
2968a482194d;&domains=www.mercola.com&sitesearch=www.mercola.com

http://www.mercola.com/2000/jul/30/doctors_death.htm

Btw:  My husband and I hear about the adverse effects of medical procedures
and drugs every week!  People are not told of the potential side effects of
the drugs they are given and many people are scared into taking drugs by
their doctors urgings, told they have no choice, or that the problem is
incurable and can only be controlled by use of this or that drug.  I know of
many women who are the objects of drug pushing or unnecessary surgeries,
particularly if they have acne, PMS, or are approaching menopause.  Few
doctors advocate dietary change, or the kind of dietary and lifestyle
changes that could drammatically improve people's health and eliminate the
need for most drugs and surgeries.  (Sure, there are exceptions.  But they
are exceptions, not the rule!)

Rachel