From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 04:55:52 -0400
Hi everybody,

I've once more made a outline of my eating with some effort
and now I post it to the list and
hope this may gives inspiration to some..
I thought it would be the right thing for a support group.

Of course you can now bite my head off and complain and all such...
because I am *not* following the lists found in the neander-book.
And this is from someone who avoids all parts of animals.

Well, i hope the case is about nutrition and not believe systems.

My paleo-dieting attempts and present stages...
I've described it twice yet.
One is at
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9809&L=paleofood&P=R18136
  2 years old.
The other i couldn't find, i think i wrote it personally and couldn't
find
it anymore (could you send it back to me? for my archive, if you still
have
it).

Now my present opinions:
What applies and should apply is "eat as naked with a stick"
(Ray's stick strangely is able to kill elephants....).
The list in Neanderthin of avoid and do-eat are both anti-vegetarian
and not
fully paleolithical correct (but do offer health advantages).

My present diet is (still) not as paleo as i would call it full paleo
- i
eat too much cooked things.

Breakfast - I could and sometimes do eat some apples, pears with
almonds.
Here i make tradeoffs (in the eyes of most paleolisters).
I often eat (properly processed) rye bread mostly with sesame(tahin),
almond
paste or tomatoes. And drink coffee - a drug.

Lunch - still always a *huge* salad with much good unprocessed oil.
Mostly olive, with flax or hemp if available.
I try to include few salad plants (up to 4 different).
I prefer dark green leaves if available.
I often include much roots (turnips or so).
I avoid eggs or any other animal matter.

Snacks: each day about 50g of pumpkin seed, flax seed, sunflower seed
almonds.  Sometimes i have dates, dried apricot ,sometimes brazils or
pollen. Sometimes fruit.

Evening: often i eat tons of various vegetables
(well usually a good lbs of).
Spinach, pumpkin, zuchini, sweetpotatoe, carrots, mangold, betes...
There are dozends good possibilities and i like to vary from day to
day but
don't mix more than 2 in a meal.
As the only and most delicious sauce i use oils.

I like to eat several seeds.
Rather undoubted paleo and nutritious are quinoa, buckwheat, chestnut.
Other grains, which are imo very healthy i use occasionally:
Millet, whole rice.

I totally quit eating of normal wheat
(and since long white flour, and other extractions or sugar).
For experiment i have stopped to eat my previous favourite grains,
spelt and
barley. Because they are cereals and carry phytin and lectins.
Result of the experiment: nothing has improved. But i miss the very
good
effect which these two have on digestion (just a good feeling in the
stomach). I think, actually such grains should be considered as
paleo-ok
(they are stone age proofed), but should be properly processed.
This means they should be sprouted or soaked to get rid of the
antinutrients.

>From time to time i like to eat white fresh cheese from sheep or goat
(sometimes feta).

As a rule of thumb to have your 2400kcal and 70g protein/day you need:
400g nuts (or sunflower, pumpkin seed, flaxseed, hemp...)
700g starchy grains
4000g fruit
8000g vegetables

Or 200g fat but then you need a concentrated protein source.
For "neanders" this is of course meat with almost only protein.
Vegetarian food-items with more protein than energy in relation are
vegetables (in big amounts then)
cheese (but only occasionaly and non-cow to follow paleo-likeness).

Nuts and similar fatty seeds are great protein sources but they come
already
with adequate energy (no fat to be added).

My comments on some food classes:

Cereal grains: as mentioned above they have some antinutrients and
*should*
be soaked, and eaten whole then. Allergic persons should of course
totally
avoid them or at least the one which cause allergy. Allergy may not be
obvious (slow). And allergy on wheat *is* common, 15% may be affected.
Furthermore they certainly are a main cause of trouble for many
"health
dieters" because of their phytin content, which robs minerals.
Never eat flour products which weren't watered for several hours
(Of course never white flour).
Never products (bread) which are made with yeast (because yeast
processing
is too quick to cope with phytins).

A word to pasta (noodles) which i do not refuse totally.
White Pasta: is has a bad reputation, but according to my research
they are
not as bad. If ingredients are only "durum" wheat. Eggs cause bacteria
and
much worse wheat to be used. They have astonishing 11% protein and
enough
vitamins b1 then (meat has 20-23% protein).
Whole grain pasta (brown) should be avoided, because pasta is already
with
the protein part and including the shells (for fiber only)
unnecessarily
increases phytin.
Pasta *may* still have the phytin of the inner seed. This depends how
long
the dough may rest in the fabrication process (I haven't asked any
brands
about it yet).

Potatoes: they are a good source of protein and energy *and* vitamins.
They are underground plants which is a good indication for healthy
paleo-food.
But they contain a toxin: solanin. Proper processing is: peeling them
and
avoiding all green and injured potatoes. This reduces some 95% of all
solanin. The rest is so low on solanin that it shouldn't be feared.
First effects of the toxin are assumed about 500g or so
(alcohol of caffeine need only grams).
Toxins are in almost every plant. Humans always ate plants.
I eat them occasionally.

meats:
wild game is true paleolithic, as far as you could assume that
hominids
without arrows, nets and fishhooks could aquire them.
It's intake was (and is) limited by the danger of protein toxicity.
Farmed meat (cow,pig) are unnatural fat, and the fat has h an
unnatural
composition. It has much to less essential fatty acids, and much too
bad
omega-3 to 6 oil ratio. It accumulates some environment toxins (fat
soluble).
It offers the chance to avoid other protein sources and their
potential to
create allergies, particularly from wheat (gluten) and dairy (casein).

Liver is the vitamin storage of animals and humans and offers the
chance to
directly eat the long term storage of some vitamins, some of which are
not
easy to get otherwise (vitamin a and b12).

Beans (or generally legumes as lentils, chickpeas):
They are very nutritious and (therefore) have some antinutrients.
Many are reduce by soaking them (traditionally they must be soaked
overnight). Most are reduced by cooking.
Many of the antinutrients may apply not to all humans. Like D'Adamos
blood
group theories recommend lentils for a's and forbid them for 0's.
Or recommend adzuki beans even for 0's.
I eat them occasionally, preferable a few selected types, soaked long.
In order to avoind as much plant toxins as possible avioding them
totally
may be a good idea. Legumes *have* been eaten in paleolithic times.
(see
http://www.naturalhub.com/natural_food_guide_grains_beans_seeds.htm ).

Sugars and pure carbohydrates:
Are totally anti-paleolithic and non-stone-age-proofed.
Will cause diabetes and hypo/hyperglykemie.
Particularly the latter will be very widespread in western societies.
Because these cannot be metabolized without the proper energy
vitamins,
whitch they are devoid of.
Replacing a (small or big) part of carbohydrate of the diet by fat
will help
to overcome the onsetting disease - cravings and so on.
If you have the sweet tooth- there's hope. There *are* natural carb
items
- all items which have adequate vitamins (particularly thiamin) with
their
energy. Fruit. (Not honey!).
But other energy real energy donators may solve the problem as well.
Natural carbohyrates and in part natural fats.

Amadeus Schmidt