From:
kelly baggett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 06:30:17 +0000
The post-workout high carbo meal/drink is designed to produce an insulin
spike as this is the time when the body and muscles are most receptive to
the anabolic powers of insulin.  Glycogen compensation occurs much faster
with little chance of spillover into fat stores.  Also muscular recovery
from exercise is much quicker.  The current rage is to also take a mixed
high carbohydrate/protein beverage immediately before training as this helps
keep muscular catabolism to a minimum while the exercise itself blunts
insulin release thus eliminating hypoglycemic symptoms during the workout
itself.  Many people have used the pre/postworkout recommendations with
great success although I have met some people who either put on fat or have
trouble losing fat when consuming high glycemic carbs at any time including
post workout.  One thing I think everyone can take from this is if you are
currently doing weight-training then the best time to take in a high
carbohydrate/high glycemic meal is in the meal immediately following the
workout.