From:
"Namaste, Liz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:23:35 EDT
In a message dated 9/9/02 1:42:57 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Some people do not lose
>weight when they eat less, instead their metabolism compensates
>in other ways, e.g., lowering of body temperature, etc.  This
>doesn't show that the laws of thermodynamics don't apply to
>complex systems,

It just makes the counting of calories relatively useless with regard to
weight loss -- if the machine/body can constantly change/adapt/accomadate to
differing caloric intake, the laws of thermodynamics don't apply in a
practical way -- theoretically, if we understood all the permutations of the
body's responses, then perhaps this bit from physics would actually be
relevant. There are actually low carb studies that do seem to indicate that
one can lose more weight on more high fat/protein calories that fewer low
fat/high carb calories. Several studies presently in progress reporting those
results. Also, Willett reported on epidemiological work (Europe) that found
zero correlation between weight and fat intake for men and an inverse
relationship between weight and fat intake for women. The interplay of
metabolism and calories is right out of Alice and Wonderland. Catch-22
anyone.

Namaste, Liz
<A HREF="http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html">
http://www.csun.edu/~ecm59556/Healthycarb/index.html</A>