Date:
Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:23:29 -0700
Hi,
A friend of mine recommended 'quinoa' as a pleasant addition to my Paleo
diet. He maintains that it is not a grain but a seed from a leafy plant
that is a distant relative to spinach. The little research I've done
indicates that although it is often considered a super grain it is
indeed a plant seed that is not classified as a grain and has no
inherent toxins other than a bitter coating that is easily washed off.
The bitter coating, I'm assuming, was to genetically discourage eating
by mammals. If that's the case would it be excluded from the paleo diet?
Can someone shed light on this for me?
Don Hogan
Red Deer AB
Canada