From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:59:31 -0700
At 6/7/2002  08:52 PM, you wrote:
>On Fri, 7 Jun 2002 13:31:36 -0700, David Karas
><[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > For me, raw meat digests better than
> >cooked meat. I can look in the toilet to see the difference. The smell is
> >also much better.
>
>This is the sort of nonsense that people use to justify every sort of
>diet.   When you are in the hospital, the nurses will thank you that it
>smells much better, I suppose.

I was only reporting what I had noticed for me. It seems to me to be a sign
of better digestion. Calling my statement "nonsense to justify every sort
of diet" is not exactly fair. I thrive on this diet and have so for years.
I am stronger than I have ever been. I am 64 and sometimes do construction
work for extra money. I had not done that since I was a teenager. I am much
healthier that my father was at this age. My diet works for me. I hope
yours works for you.

> >I had been on a cooked food diet. During the the two years that I was
> >eating cooked, I developed vision problems (difficulty in focusing) which
> >went away when I went back on a raw food diet. The medical doctor, Michael
> >Klaper, that I spoke to about this said if the blood sugar is higher than
> >normal that water is drawn out of the cornea making it harder to focus
> the eye.
>
>Michael Klaper ????
>
>Dr. Michael Klaper, MD : "The human body has absolutely no requirement for
>animal flesh."

This is what he believes. I have learned that I do better with animal flesh
in my diet. Most of my contact with Michael  was back when I was a vegan.
He diagnosed a low B-12 deficiency for me which no one else had found. I
did what he said (sublingual tablets) and got better. Five years later when
I had started eat raw meat, I told him that I had started eating meat. He
was very surprised. He asked me to be part of a study that he was doing but
I haven't heard any more about it.

I know an Instinctive eater and author named Zephyr (also known as Ano) who
got trichinosis, suspected to be  from eating raw mongoose liver. Dr Klaper
went to see him and helped him. He did tell Ano to wait a while before
starting to eat raw meat again.

>If there is anyone in direct opposition to the Paleo Diet, surely he is
>number one.

Michael has to rank high on that list. I never meant to imply that he
supported paleo diets. I hadn't even heard of paleo diets when this
happened. I only knew that a cooked vegan diet caused problems for my body.

>( I've found that people who are involved in PC activities like
>veganism, feel that it is important to "win" at all costs, without
>regard for "trivialities" like truth.   Everything I've read about
>Klaper puts him firmly in that category - someone who means well, but
>starts with assumptions and then spends his life serving those assumptions. )
>
>By the way, did he tell you what cooking food has to do with blood sugar?
>
>Blood sugar levels are regulated by insulin, which should have nothing to
>do with cooking or not.

I had spent five years prior as a raw food (high sugar, low starch) vegan.
When I switched to a lot of cooked vegan food (whole wheat pasta among
other things) I did ok for a while but then after a year or more I noticed
vision problems. I started using reading glasses. This and bright light
helped. Then for other reasons I decided to try all raw again. One day I
realized that I didn't know where the reading glasses were made me realize
that my vision had improved. The next time I saw Michael I asked him if he
had any idea what had happened. His response was about high blood sugar. It
seemed to me a plausible explanation but there was no discussion about how
cooking would cause that.