From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:35:32 -0500
>When I was researching the foods to which I am allergic, one of which is
>corn, I read that dextrose is used in the iodization process, (can anyone
>confirm this?) so I've avoided iodized salt since then. Since I am also
>severely hypoglycemic, I would have needed to avoid it for that reason
>anyway.
>
>It makes me a little concerned about not having enough iodine in my diet
>though, so I occasionally take a supplement that includes some kelp, which
>I believe contains iodine.

Sea salt such as Celtic or Maldon salt naturally contains iodine. These
salts are harvested directly from the sea using an evaporation process. They
are a pure product. Other salts may be labeled "sea salt" even though they
have not seen the ocean for thousands of years. These salts come from
landlocked salt mines. These are the salts that get processed, broken down
to NaCl, iodized, and mixed with additives.

To get iodine in your diet, you can add a strip of kombu seaweed to broths
and soups. It gives a nice flavor. I usually mince the kombu once it's
cooked and stir it right into the soup. My seaweed-fearing husband usually
can't even detect it. Other good seaweeds to eat are arame (my favortie) and
hiziki. You can soak them, saute them, and add other vegetables to them to
make a salad. A favorite seaweed salad of mine uses arame, sliced haas
cucumbers, matchstick cut carrots, sliced red bell pepper, and pickled
ginger (which is not paleo; it's pickled using rice vinegar).

There is a recipe in NeanderThin for nut sushi which is very good also. I
use Eden brand sushi nori ("seaweed papers"). They make a 50-sheet pack
which is a good $$ value compared to the 10-sheet pack.

Stacie