From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 18:50:01 -0700
I think that the key at least in Japan, and actually
as far as I know in Korea and China as well, is that
in fact the diet is not really completely dominated by
rice. People typically consume a piece of fish and
vegetables along with a bowl of rice, and in fact many
younger Japanese now mostly eat McDonalds anyway... My
understanding is that problems of lack of nutrients
such as iron, zinc, and vitamin A tend to occur in
places like Cambodia that are very poor and where
people really do rely on rice for a substantial
proportion of their diet.

Best, Jens Wilkinson