From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2010 09:08:53 -0600
On Feb 8, 2010, at 8:29 AM, Tom Bri wrote:

> Longevity studies show no effect either way. Coffee drinkers live
> no longer
> or shorter than non-drinkers. Suggests to me that any ill effects are
> balanced by positive effects. Like almost everything in life. One
> more thing
> not to sweat about.

It *may* have a negligible effect on those consuming a Standard
American Diet.  The question for paleo dieters though is what effect
does coffee have on us, whose systems are not a milkshake of
competing nonpaleo influences?  We have no studies, which is why the
paleo yardstick is so valuable.

Having said that, I like the "I know it's not paleo, but I'm doing it
anyway" answer.  I do that for wine, though I've reduced my
consumption considerably in the new year.  But we would all do well
to pay attention to our bodies -- no way paleo man was consuming so
much caffeine for one.  That's to say nothing of the other clearly
unpaleo substances coffee.

Cheers.

Jim