Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 09:12:56 -0400
Charles wrote:

<<Is anybody familiar with the FDA's nutrient database?>>

  **  Yes

<< I was looking for some
sort of comparison between the nutrient levels of commercial, organic and
wild foods.>>

** Good luck <g>

<<It seems to me that one problem is that the nutrient levels can vary by a
factor of ten depending on the soil on which the plant was grown, and also
the season of the year, which makes these sort of standardized tables
meaningless.>>

** Indeed.

<<The nutrient levels in butter from grass fed cows apparently peaks in the
spring, and is lower for the rest of the year, and there was an inverse
relationship with heart attack deaths (studies done in the 1930s -- may be
different now). While butter may not be paleo, native/paleo people were
certainly aware of these kinds of variations in their food supply. (I read
somewhere that some oranges have no vitamin c !)>>

**  The oranges with no Vit C were those that were tracked from California
trees to a New York City grocery shelf.  There was no detectable Vit C by
the time the oranges arrived in NYC.

Siobhan