From:
Robert Kesterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:17:36 -0500
On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:02:58 -0500, Greg Davis
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Previously being a student I found sticking to paleo foods not a problem
> but now that I've been working full time for about a month I'm finding
> it hard to keep my calories up.

Nuts, fruit, and jerky (or pemmican) are great for that (especially since
they're portable and require no preparation).

> What I've been doing is relying on grass-fed beef shortening, which I
> drizzle over meals to boost the kcals and fat intake. People think I'm
> crazy if they see me do it but I'm eating fairly lean meats so I think
> it kinda balances out.

I don't see a problem with that.  I often do the same thing by adding
olive oil, nuts, or nut oil to lean meat dishes.

> I have friends that say I'm eating "crisco" and that my arteries are
> gonna clog....

Nonsense.  If you're worried, get your blood chemistry done.

> I don't bother trying to explain the difference between grass-fed
> animals etc. Probably on average I'm using about 4-5 tbs a day.

I use at least half that on any given day, more if the meat I'm eating
that day is very lean.

Your friends wouldn't think twice of having a hamburger (plenty of beef
fat there), of putting oil on their salad (more fat), butter on their
bread (more fat), or cream in their coffee (yet still more fat).  And
that's on top of the staggering amount of fat in processed foods.  If
you're eating paleo and just adding some fat here and there to increase
calories, you could well be eating *less* fat in a day than what they are.

> Just wondering if anyone more enlightened than I thinks this is a bad
> idea?

I'm still searching for enlightment, so take anything I say with a grain
of salt.  ;-)

--
   Robert Kesterson