From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:11:51 -0800
>I had asked this before, but didn't see an answer.  I have started to eat my
>beef raw,  what a nice surprise.  very flavorful and tender.  Can I also eat
>organ meats raw?  Or should those be cooked?  I like beef hearts and liver.

Yes ,you can eat them raw . I will be myself not very keen in eating a liver
from a commercial cow ,raw or cooked . But from grass fed animal i go ahead.
When i 1st ate a totaly raw piece of beef i was wondering why i ever cooked
them before, it was so good yet i was uneasy with the red color.
 Is your beef grass fed ?

the taste when eaten raw without seasonning is radically different.

I was buying at the end of the "estive" season (when animals are free range
for 6 months in the mountains in France ) beef from animals who graze on  a
wild diverse flora, drinking pure water and excercizing a lot
those animals were fed silage (  salted , fermented grass clippings  and hay
and grass in the winter. The meat of those animals that i was considering
healthy animals was in big contrast with a purely grass fed beef. that i got
from an other region in France ( with certainly not as wild environment) It
was not so good  tasting anymore in comparaison
So despite they were killed after 6 months of a pure diet in the mountains
,the meat was leaving an after taste  due to their not so natural  winter
diet.
Same kind of comparaison here. I got in december beef from jersey cows
raised on certified organic grass and hay plus a small handfull  evrey day
of organic feed ( grains and raw left overs of the"  omega" oils
extraction). { sound quite natural food}
Now i have beef from an other breed ( prehistoric looking higland
cattle),and just that , may be,  make the difference, but who eat only
grass and little bit of hay in the winter .
The taste of the latter is so much better.
So i will encourage anyone to make the effort of asking a truely grass fed
animal and getting curious to know exactly where those animals come from and
what they actually eat. It is worth it. specially if you want it raw.
jean-claude