Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2002 15:11:14 -0400

Pasha said:
>>Which gurus?

My reply:
I meant that the case against fruit is over-blown.  It is possible to eat
fresh fruit daiy, even several times per day, and be trim; I am.  When I did
low carb with as much fat as I needed to satisfy my appetite, I could not
get and stay lean.   I have seen many people who have gone on low carb
diets, lost a lot of weight (water and glycogen) the first week, then
stagnated for weeks or months.  They've gotten the idea that fruit is "bad"
and will make them fat.... then they often eat so much meat and fat, and
take in so many calories that the body has no need to burn stored fat, so
they either gain weight or see no change.

I see fruit is a healthful food.  Paleo people living in tropical or
subtropical locations could have had access to large amounts of vegetables
and fruits throughout the year.  There is so much evidience of tremendous
health benefits from fruits.

I don't see fruit as the thing that has made so many Americans fat; it's
refined carbohydrates, soda, the lack of produce in the diet, and the
extremely high calorie density foods, loaded with fat, salt, and sugar that
stimulate the appetite and promote fat gain.

Thats my take.  I don't have time to trot out all the evidence.  Sorry for
the typo (typing fat when I meant fruit!)

Rachel Matesz
The Healthy Cooking Coach