From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 00:18:02 EDT
In a message dated 5/29/03 10:19:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I'm convinced that some people
> cannot eat a lot of it and have a low LDL value as well.

That's interesting. Do you know of any research etc that demonstrates
saturated fat intake raises LDL in some individuals? Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution
seems to allude to this possibility when he mentions that some people are "fat
sensitive" and their lipid profiles worsen as dietary saturated fat
increases. I wonder if all saturated fat will do this ie animal derived (long chain
fatty acids) as well as plant derived such as in coconut oil (medium chain fatty
acids).   Although my lipid profile was good back in January and I had been
eating a lot of saturated fat, I am now really packing in the saturated fat with
the addition of 3 tablespoons of coconut oil per day. I am experimenting with
the macronutrient proportions proposed by Jan Kwasniewski ("Optimal Diet"
author -- for more info see <A HREF="http://www.ahoa.org.au/">http://www.ahoa.org.au/</A>.  and am therefore purposely
eating as much saturated fat as possible.  It will be interesting to see what
happens to my lipids.  My energy has increased tremendously and my weight loss
has picked up -- but I will be curious to see if there is any negative impact
on my lipid readings.  Anyone know if it's possible to have decent LDL, HDL
and triglycerides and yet have a poor C-Reactive Protein or Lipoprotein A
reading??  Adrienne