From:
Marilyn Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:08:07 -0400
>> with some onions and your favorite herbs in the broth.  None of
>> the references I have say anything about heat affecting CoQ10.

I would re-think your cooking times and temperatures. It's possible that
some of it on the inside can withstand somewhat high temperatures although
probably not for too long. Anyhow, just for your information;

http://www.fit-zone.com/library/E/endurance_training/coq10.html

"Eating foods cooked or processed destroys the COQ-10 and/or the substrates
which our body would convert into replacing depleted COQ-10 tissue
stores.(Pure COQ-10 is a bright yellow in its active form, but once it is
exposed to light or 115 degrees heat it is rendered inactive.) Eating foods
rich in COQ-10 (sardines, green vegetables, cereals, and raw nuts) will
spare COQ-10 tissue losses."

-------------------

http://www.living-well-online.com/d.cgi/barleygreen/cellsparc_360_pds.htm

"It is also found in vegetables, in particular spinach and broccoli.
Coenzyme Q10 is easily destroyed in the cooking process, and in refined
grains, much of the coenzyme Q10 is removed."

-------------------

http://www.antiagingchoices.com/Nutritional_products/circulatory_cardiovascular/

"CoQ10 is perishable and can break down at temperatures reaching 115° F "

-------------------

http://www.campo-research.com/campo/products/bio/part3.html

"CoQ10 has a very long shelf-life when protected from light and excessive
heat, with little deterioration occurring over periods of up to several
years at room temperature. When exposed to light, however, CoQ10 will
degrade quite rapidly."

-------------------

http://wwwnt4.clark.net/nutramax/human/comax.htm

"This aspect of coenzyme Q10 is extremely important because exposure to
oxygen in the air, light, and heat during commercial production of CoQ10 can
cause extensive oxidation. If not protected from the relentless exposure to
oxygen during manufacture, distribution, and storage, CoQ10 can be degraded
and lose its effectiveness. "

-------------------

On the other hand you have this [below] - although how hot can can a shipped
product get? Surely no more than a little over 100 degrees F?:

-------------------

"In one case, a shipment of CoQ10 was exposed to extremely high temperatures
for an extended period. The member asked us to replace the CoQ10 with an
overnight delivery which we did gladly We asked the member to mail us the
CoQ10 for analysis. The Coenzyme Q10 was exposed even more heat by the time
we received it from the member. We then sent this bottle off to an
independent assay laboratory for analysis.

As you can see from the following report, there was no deterioration of the
Coenzyme Q10, despite greater than normal heat exposure:

We have been assured by the pharmaceutical suppliers of the premium
ingredients contained in every product we recommend that the nutrients they
manufacture are designed to withstand long exposure to the inevitable high
temperatures that occur during summer shipping."

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag96/feb96-update2.html

Best,

Marilyn