From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 22:18:32 -0800
<If you are homozygous for the mutant gene that
<causes hemochromatosis, you will have the disease..

Do you know that for sure or  is it just an assumption.?

 It doesn't
matter what you eat or how you live, although some diets will
cause problems sooner than others.

How come ?  why not expect also  than symptoms could  possibly  not develop
in certain circonstances .
before death

>> This does not preclude diet. For instance copper
>> deficiency is epidemic. Whether it could involved
>> with this is Not
>> Known.
>
>Certainly, there are a couple of situations in which
>hemochromatosis could include a copper deficiency (or
>other deficiency) as a factor. The genetic flaw may
>have originally developed because of a copper (or
>other) deficiency. Or, a copper (or other) deficiency
>could be a catalyst for the disease in those who have
>the genetic flaw. However, neither of these cases
>preclude the fact that there *is* a genetic flaw, and
>that is *is* detectable, and that people who do not
>have the flaw do not get the disease.

It doen't mean that people who have the genetic flaw ( or asset ) will
necessarelly manifest the disease.

 Who knows,
>perhaps what we perceive as the genetic flaw was
>actually not a flaw originally, but a survival
>adaptation for some unknown environmental change.
>Similar to the "flaw" which causes sickle cell anemia
>in some people of North African descent, but
>originally protected them from malaria.

May be , for the genetic trait to be activated , the environment change must
be also experienced. Following the proposition of an adjustement to the bean
, may be if the person who inherited  the gene  are never exposed to beans
the trait will not be activated.

jean-claude