From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 05:08:48 -0500
Inspired by a message on this list, I tried to get "red palm oil".
I have found someone who sells that stuff - in 180kg barrels,
but maybe in smaller units too.

What's outstanding is its content of both carotenes and tocopherols (Vitamin
A dn E). One spoonfull serves about one day's requirement of both of this.
That's a great source. Particularly for vitamin E.

There is no USDA analysis, but they provided one with a sample I've got.

It serves well, when frying. Most is saturated (16:0) that's good for
frying. It's rather thick, liquid over some 35 deg. Celsius.

To my amazement the taste is not bad (as some had reported), it's rather
neutral. But it leaves a red color (from the carotenes).
Rad palm oil is made from fruits of palms, in my case in malaysia without
any chemical extractions.

Well, now I've found my way of frying.

Btw, Richard, in your web interface, I see that you've included the new
nutrients. But where are the trans-fats?
E.g. http://www.juggernaut.com.au/food/?f=palm&n=4108
this nasty margarine item should show trans fats.
?

regards

Amadeus