From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:03:44 -0600
You guys want to hear something interesting?  I am sure you’ve heard
of “rabbit starvation,” the condition whereby someone who has no
access to carbs but plenty of access to low fat protein slowly wastes
away.  (Used to happen to those in the wilderness who only had lots of
rabbits and other small, relatively fat free animals to eat).  Well,
as wonderful as we always hear wild salmon is (I love it!) with all
its omega 3s and such, it too can cause rabbit starvation.

The reason is that wild salmon is very low in total fat.  You’d have
to consume about four whole fish per day to get sufficient calories to
survive.  And remember gluconeogenesis, whereby the body converts
excess protein to sugar?  We only need about 100 grams of protein a
day, an amount above which is simply converted to sugar.

So how much protein is in four whole salmon?  About 340 grams!  It’s
the side effects of gluconeogenesis that cause rabbit starvation and
this wonderful, wild food would eventually get you there.

Humans need from about 50-120 grams a day of protein per day based on
size and activity levels.  You would have to supplement a wild salmon
diet with either carbs (which will in the long run cause a host of
diseases) or fat – or you’d get rabbit starvation.

Jim Swayze
www.fireholecanyon.com
Sent from my iPhone