From:
Johnny Battle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 13:43:38 -0800
>Adrienne Smith wrote: For some reason, meat, fish,
poutltry and lots of veggies just do not get my bowels moving the same
way
fruit does.

Constipation is often caused by dried out poop. Fiber keeps the bowels
moving by absorbing water as it passes through and making a nice moist,
well lubricated stool (I can't believe I'm writing this as I eat lunch
:-p ) Too little fiber and the passage of waste slows down and slowly
becomes more dried out, causing worse delays than a gun-toting sheik at
the airport. But fiber, which is in both fruit and veggies, is only half
the equation. The other half is that most under rated of paleolithic
dietary items---water. It's been pretty well established that most
people don't get enough. Even if you feel like you are drinking enough,
you may not be, since thirst is not a good indicator. It's very easy to
be chronically slightly dehydrated. And constipation can be one sign of
that.

Anyway you might try the following, which is an Ayurvedic (Indian
medicine) technique. When you first get up in the morning, drink about
48 - 60 ounces of water. The faster, the better. I drink it over about
10 minutes while watching TV, but you may need to draw it out more,
especially when you first start, if you feel a little queeesy. It's
normal at first to find the task a little unpleasant, but that changes
fairly soon (at least it did for me). Then wait about an hour before
eating breakfast. This lets you start the day in a fairly hydrated
state. But your intestinal tract can only absorb part of the water you
just flooded into it, and the rest works its way on out, usually within
an hour or two, carrying all and sundry along with it. I think of it as
a sort of gentle, internal enema. I've been doing this daily for over
two years and feel like it's benefited me greatly.

John B